Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (Stein-Leventhal Syndrome)
- One of the most common hormonal endocrine disorders in women.Up to 10% of women and girls worldwide have polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Levels of the sex hormones estrogen and progesterone are out of balance. This leads to the growth of ovarian cysts identifiable in many cases though pelvic Ultrasonography.
- Irregular menstrual periods, excess hair growth, acne, and obesity can occur in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.
- The exact cause of polycystic ovary syndrome is unknown but the condition is found to be associated with one or more of the following: Insulin resistance, Vit D deficiency, Vit B12 defficiency, low progesterone level in the leuteal peak, increased testosterone levels, hypothyroidism, abnormal lipid profile.
- If not adequately managed PCOs it may lead to infertility, Gestational Diabetes, Diabetes Mellitus, depression, anxiety, increased risk of Heart disease, Stroke, breast neoplasm, Endometriosis, Fibroid Uterus, Endometrial carcinoma,
- Early diagnosis and treatment along with weight loss may reduce the risk of long-term complications.
- Effective management of PCOS involves identifying and quantifying the hormonal imbalances and nutritional deficiencies and correction of the same.