Compounding Pharmacy in India
What Is a Compounding Pharmacy?
Compounding… A Precise and Careful Process! Until the 20th century, all pharmacies were compounding pharmacies, meaning they combined one or more active ingredients into a customized treatment for an individual patient’s needs as per the doctor’s advice. Today, very few pharmacies in India provide this type of personalized service.
Belle Santé Pharma is a licensed full-service compounding pharmacy dedicated to the preparation of compounded medications. It aims to provide patients’ high-quality bio-identical hormone therapies and nutritional supplements in the form of Tablets, Capsules, Creams and Lotions. Belle Santé formulates various combinations of pharmaceutical-grade active ingredients, as prescribed by any trained and registered healthcare practitioner, into specific dosage forms for individual patients.
Benefits of working with a compounding pharmacy include:
- Healthcare practitioners can prescribe medication specific to their patient’s individual needs instead of only having access to standardized, commercially available dosages, strengths and forms.
- Patients are less likely to experience side effects if their prescriptions can be tailored to their specific needs and keeping in mind any allergies or intolerance they may have.
- Healthcare practitioners can more easily fine-tune or modify the dose or prescription from time to time as an individual patient’s needs change, or match an individual’s absorption abilities.
- Compounded prescriptions can be customized to different formulations that may be more efficient or easier to administer. For example, if a patient has some difficulty in swallowing pills, the compounding pharmacist may be able to formulate the medication as a syrup, cream or gel.
- Multiple prescriptions can be combined into a single dosage form for patient’s convenience and to ensure better long term patient compliance.
- Preservative-free or allergen-free prescriptions can be compounded for very sensitive patients. For most prescriptions we do not add any synthetic colours, dyes, flavoring agents or fragrances.
- Flavoring can be added to make syrups, drops and lozenges more palatable for children, if desired.
- Compounding pharmacies (and pharmacists) adhere to highest standards and regulations set by the U.S. Pharmacopeia, National Association of Boards and State Boards of Pharmacy for quality assurance and accuracy. Belle Santé Pharma is meticulous in meeting the industry’s highest quality standards of compounded medication.
History of Compounding Pharmacy
Pharmacy compounding is the art and science of preparing customized medications for patients. Its practice dates back to the origins of pharmacy, yet the presence of compounding throughout the pharmacy profession has changed over the years. In the 1930s and 1940s, approximately 60% of all medications were compounded.
With the advent of drug manufacturing in the 1950s and 1960s, compounding rapidly declined. The pharmacist’s role as a maker of medications quickly changed to that of a dispenser of manufactured dosage forms. It was during this time that patients and physician became dissatisfied with the “one size fits all” attitude of the large Pharma companies. Physicians searching for drugs to treat their patients, lead to the reawakening of the ancient art of prescription compounding.
Within the last two decades, though, compounding has experienced resurgence, as modern technology and innovative techniques and research have allowed more pharmacists to customize medications to meet specific patient needs.
Today many pharmacists specialize in the ancient art of pharmaceutical compounding. In 2006 over 30 million compounded prescriptions were dispensed not counting all the admixtures and injectable drugs compounded in America’s hospitals. There are now more than 1,500 compounding pharmacists throughout the United States, Canada, Australia, Europe and New Zealand. About 43,000 compounded prescriptions are dispensed daily, with about 3,500 doctors taking advantage of this in the United States and Australia.
The key to successful bio-identical hormone therapy is that it is individualized to each patient’s symptoms and needs. These do not follow the general rules of one-size-fits-all but based on the experience and knowledge of the pharmacist. A qualified compounding pharmacy needs to have the best products that are tested, with the most knowledgeable pharmacists and a staff that provides superior customer service.
The most common bio-identical hormones are estrogens and progesterone’s designed to relieve the symptoms of Menopause and hormonal imbalances in women. Compounded Testosterone does the same for men going through challenges of Andropause. Compounding pharmacies are the only source of these hormone therapies.
|FORM||BELLE SANTE COMPOUNDED PRODUCTS||STRENGTH / UNIT|
|cap/tab/cream||Active Hormonal Ingredients in Product||Min to Max|
|Cap||Vit D3 (Cholecalciferol)||5,000 IU & 10,000 IU|
|Cap||DHEA (Sustained Release)||5 mg to 100 mg|
|Cap||Oral Progesterone||10 mg to 250 mg|
|Cap||Comp. Thyroid (T3:T4 = 1:4 ratio)||15 mg to 300 mg|
|Contains T3 & T4 in mcg equivalent to||1/4 Grain to 5 Grains|
|Cap||Pure T3 (Tri-Iodo-Thyronine)||5 mcg to 50 mcg|
|Cap||Comp. Thyroid (T3:T4 = 1:2 ratio)||15 mg to 150 mg|
|Contains T3 & T4 in mcg equivalent to||1/4 Grain to 3 Grains|
|Tab||Vit C (High Potency Ascorbic Acid)||1000 mg|
|Cream||Natural Micronised Testosterone (males)||25 mg/ml to 300 mg/ml|
|Cream||Natural Micronised Testosterone (females)||0.25 mg/ml to 1 mg/ml|
|Cream||Natural Micronised Progesterone (females)||10 mg/ml to 400 mg/ml|
|Cream||Natural Micronised Estradiol (females)||0.5 mg/ml to 4 mg/ml|
|Cream||BI-EST (E2&E3) Estradiol dominant||0.05 mg/ml to 1.5mg/ml|
|Cream||BI-EST (E3 &E2) Estriol dominant||0.05 mg/ml to 1.5mg/ml|
|Cream||Progesterone with little Estradiol||101 mg/ml to 202 mg/ml|
|Cream||Progesterone with little Testosterone||200.5 mg/ml to 401 mg/ml|
|Cream||BI-EST combo with little Testo added||1.5 mg/ml to 2.5 mg/ml|
|Cream||Spl. Combo of Progest + BI-EST + Testo||101.5 mg/ml to 202.5 mg/ml|
|* Our Compounding Pharmacy can customize the Product to the Patient’s Requirements|
** All Hormonal Preparations are Compounded & Dispensed by Belle Sante Quality Compounding Pharmacy ONLY against a Medical doctor’s valid prescription.
To order your Meds “Contact Us“
10 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (IST); Monday through Saturday
2nd and 4th Saturdays and all Sundays are holiday
Most National & Mandatory Holidays we are closed.
NEW & REFILL PRESCRIPTION GUIDELINES
We honour both Hard Copy and Soft Copy prescriptions received from Registered Medical Practitioners.
A patient or the Doctor may send us prescriptions by hand or by courier or WhatsApp us a clear picture on phone or mail a scanned copy of the prescription by E-mail. A proper and valid prescription should be written or printed clearly and needs to provide the following complete information:
Letterhead: Name of Doctor & Clinic
Medical Council Reg. No:
NAME of Patient, Date of Prescription, Gender, Date of Birth / Age
List of Medicines prescribed, Strength of each Drug and Dosage & Duration of Rx advised
Complete Postal ADDRESS (Street, City, and PIN Code) for shipping Meds PHONE NUMBER, MOBILE NUMBER, & E-mail Address of patient
* for communication purpose only
SIGNATURE of the Doctor
PROCESS of FILLING out of PRESCRIPTIONS @ Belle Santé Pharma:
- The prescription is reviewed by the Pharmacist for clarity & completeness
- The prescribing doctor will be contacted if any clarifications are needed
- The Invoice will be raised and sent to the Doctor / Patient as preferred
- Full payment in advance is required before Medicines are Compounded
- Payment can be made by NEFT/RTGS or by deposit of Cheque /Cash in Bank A/C
- Medicines will be compounded according to prescription and labeled accordingly
- Careful packing and dispatch is done by courier if that is delivery option chosen
- Tracking Number of the couriered meds is sent to the recipient by SMS / e-mail
- If personal collection is opted for the coordinator will call when meds are ready
- Our cheerful coordinator is available to handle your queries during working hours
- In case you call outside working hours or your call is not received for any reason, please leave us your name and contact number along with a short message on the answering machine so we can get back to you at the earliest.